Monday, September 5, 2011

Prayer Letter

Here is a letter (I meant to mail it to everyone but...) that explains my heart behind working with Mission of Hope. It has some prayer request at the bottom. Wednesday is the big day. I fly out from RDU to Miami, meet up with the other interns, and then on to Port au Prince. I'm excited and nervous. Thanks for the prayers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I wanted to write and tell you about my upcoming plans for fall of 2011. I know that I’m friends with all of you in different capacities, but you are receiving this letter because I’m confident in your love the Lord and belief in the power of prayer.

I have traveled to Haiti twice on weeklong mission trips with Young Life International. I went in 2008 and then this past spring. Each trip was unique and challenging in its own way. No words can describe Haiti. I was shocked at the level of poverty in 2008 and returning in 2011 after the earthquake was just as stunning. It’s hard to believe that the island of Hispaniola is only 1 and a half hours from Miami. This past year Haiti has been laid in my path many ways. First, I ran across The Apparent Project on a blog. The Apparent Project is based in Port-au-Prince Haiti, and its goal is to create jobs for Haitians in order that they might be good parents and citizens. The project makes beautiful jewelry out of recycled cereal boxes (http://www.apparentproject.org). After having huge success in hosting a jewelry party for them, I did a semester long project on how micro-business could be expanded. The spring semester of my Jr. year I also took a class on Caribbean women, where I did a research project solely on religion on the island of Hispaniola. In March of the spring semester I returned to Haiti with Raleigh Young Life to serve. It was a different experience than my trip in 2008 because I was older and had studied the country. I knew the history of corrupt political leaders and deforestation. I questioned more about how the Haitian’s felt about American missionaries and aid workers. I struggled with thoughts and questions that I still haven’t answered, but was reminded by each child that I played with that we are all made in the image of our living God. Once back from Haiti I continued my classes and work with the Apparent Project and prayed for my Haitian friends, often hoping that maybe next spring break I would get to visit again.

I met Laura Kirchofer in my social entrepreneurship class. She knew of my interest in Haiti because of my project and travels. She is active in UNC Greek Life which is a branch of Campus Crusade for Christ in which I participate. Laura asked me to go to lunch one day to talk about Haiti. She told me she felt called to take the following fall semester off and serve there. I was impressed by her clear discernment of God’s will and evident desire to follow His leading. I told her all I knew about Haiti, organizations, etc. I told her I would pray for her and give her all the help I could. Laura and I continued to meet over the next few weeks, talking about Haiti and becoming quick friends. Laura is very gifted in business and is fluent in French. She is passionate, faithful and intelligent. I can easily see how she will be an asset in Haiti.

After school ended Laura and I still kept in touch and she asked me if I would ever consider going to Haiti next semester. I responded “if the Lord showed me” (aka I don’t really want to leave Chapel Hill my senior year, so if I see a burning bush… maybe). I told her I would pray about it. I prayed and God started the process of changing my heart through Psalm 84. In Haiti when asked my name and responding “Becca”, everyone laughs. “Baca” “Baca”, they would chant and giggle. I didn’t get it until an older kid said your name means pig. They loved to tattoo me with the word Baca. Psalm 84 states “Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage, As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they will make it a place of springs;”.The whole Psalm spoke to my heart and the “Baca” caught my attention. If “better is one day in His courts than a thousand elsewhere”, then why would I worry about leaving for a semester? After many prayers and continual confirmation that I am supposed to serve in Haiti next semester I am ready to move forward. The Lord has worked everything so perfectly that I only need one more semester to graduate college, and I will graduate with my class in May of 2012! This summer I have so clearly seen the Lord’s faithfulness and provision. He is GOOD!

It has been a busy summer. I will be leaving September 7th to intern at Mission of Hope (mohhaiti.org). I’m excited. My main duties will be helping host and lead mission teams that come down for weeks at a time. The Lord has so graciously provided a subletter for my room and many other blessings along the way. As September 7th quickly approaches please pray for Haiti and the upcoming semester.

Here are a couple of things that you can pray for:
-pray for the people and poverty of Haiti. Pray that they would know the Lord and His glory would shine throughout the land.
-pray for the weather and political leadership of Haiti.
-Pray for the programs at Mission of Hope (Orphanage, Medical Clinic, School, Cord of 3 Strands Ministry, and the week long mission teams.)
-Pray for the leaders of Mission of Hope and Young Life in Haiti.
-Pray for both Laura and my heart, that we would love the Haitians with Christ love and have servant attitudes.
-Pray for safety and travel and against worry.

Thank you guys so much for your prayers. I have seen its power over the months.

In Our Fathers Love,
Becca Troxler


No comments:

Post a Comment