Gary came in with the Texas team but only could stay one night because he is a speaker and has conferences back in the States. He was raised Hindu and came to know the Lord in college. He was coming to look at how the Mission ran because he had a similar Mission in Kurdistan. On Sunday we toured the Mission and the Bercy property and I learned how Gary got to the place where he is today. Hearing his story of how he was raised in a wealthy Hindu family, played soccer for a college in the States, met his wife and started going to church, accepted the Lord, got exiled from his Hindu family, started a successful company (Panera Bread), and then sold everything to start his mission in Kurdistan, really encouraged me. He was one of those men who I could have listened to speak all day. After he left and I thought about all he had taught me and the way he spoke about the Lord I was reminded of Moses. Like Moses in Exodus 34 Gary glowed for the Lord. He quoted scripture when he talked. He spent time with the Lord and it was obvious. His purpose was to glorify the Lord. Yes he had been hugely successfully in the words standards, starting Panera bread etc., but he was not living for the world. Even just a week in Haiti reminds me not to live for this world. One thing Gary really reminded me is that it’s not about me. Yes I want to love on the Haitians and try to help Haiti in any way I can, but honestly I can’t help. The only thing I can offer is Christ love.
During our internship we are reading a book called When Helping Hurts. It is about the importance of indigenous mobilization and not accidently hurting those we are trying to help in poorer areas. I’m only on chapter one but this is a concept that is huge at MOH and to all the people I talk to. Another friend I have met is Matthew, a business man from Texas. He is starting a concrete company in Haiti. The basis of his company is business as mission. Before I left for Haiti my boss this summer at Church World Service talked to me about business as mission. The idea is that by starting businesses in poorer areas and hiring local individuals, the gospel will be shared through relationships and daily living. Talking to Matthew about his heart for his business and the way the Lord has brought him to this idea was amazing. The Lord was so faithful and clear in leading me to Haiti for this semester and He is so faithful in Matthew’s life with his business. God loves all his children and wants to guide us. I love talking about social entrepreneurship. It’s almost like I’m in a class for my minor with all these great businessmen telling me their stories! It has been remarkable to see people from all walks of life serving the Lord. Here are a few things that I have happened this week/I’ve been reminded of:
1. The food is great! Last night we had apple crisp (just like the dessert Hil and I love to make back at the Glendie)! I almost feel spoiled because the food is so good. Thank you Lord!
2. It’s HOTTTT! Somedays are better than others but overall it is pretty sweaty.
3. There are BIG spiders. I’m avoiding them at all cost.
4. We normally go do ministry 2 times a week and construction 2 times a week with the teams. Yesterday we went to an orphanage and a village to talk with people. I really enjoyed the orphanage.
5. God’s word is living and active. I always know this but I often forget it. It’s the way He speaks to us, so if I want to hear from Him then I better read it.
6. We play games at night a lot. Y’all know I love this. I haven’t brought out Picture Down the Lane yet but the time will come. We have been playing Mafia and Nertz. It’s a great past time.
7. The internet is good. Surprisingly good. I’m thankful for that.
8. I can see the ocean from MOH!
9. Haitians really praise Jesus at church! I love the worship!
My friend Gary wrote this to me and it summed up what I have been learning and the way he lived in the short day I met him:
The Apostle Paul lived a life worthy of his calling and he let the following principle guide him--"For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain" (PHIL 1:21). My deepest desire is to live for Christ in this life in a way that the lost and dying generation all around me will fall at His feet and cry out in repentance. Each day I cry out to my Lord asking Him to help me be poured out as a drink offering to the people that He has asked me to serve. Each time of prayer I ask Him to impress upon me my deep dependance on His mercy and grace to live another day in this world.
What a great prayer. Love y’all and miss you lots! Love from Haiti!
<3 Bec
Great to read about this Becca! So thankful that things are going well and that you are meeting such wonderful people. We are thinking of you and are so proud of you- the Lord is with you! Grace and Peace, Cousin Jer
ReplyDelete