Friday, January 15, 2010

Is this real life?



Where to begin? Well I guess I could start by saying we successfully made it to Florence! The trip was quite possibly one of the easiest I have ever taken, minus the fact that my carry on weighed 50lbs, not joking. Lugging it up steps, on buses, and into overhead compartments was not fun, but gave Hil some good laughs. We went to DC, Frankfurt, and then FLORENCE! Not one delay or even turbulence on planes. Thanks for all the prayers.

I was worried about getting our 4 bag which weighed 49.99 lbs a piece to the LDM check in and then finding our apartment, but once again everything went SOO smoothly. I told Hil “first on the list find a cart” and automatically we saw a cart for the bags, no kidding, it was almost scary how perfect everything was taken care of. Thank you Jesus. Got a Taxi and as soon as we got to check in we saw all the other girls and they helped us with our bags. After check in we went to the apartment. Words that describe our apartment: quaint, chilly, pink, character, PERFECT FOR BECCA AND HILARY! I’m still surprised with how awesome our apartment is! One of my favorite things about it is the “cage”. Italy does not believe in central heat so we have two little heaters in our apartment, and one of them is located in the “cage”. The “cage” or “God corner” is randomly located in our little living area beside the heater. It has a little chair in it and it is the perfect place to sit, read, skype, etc. I’m in love with little Bella Rosa (our apartment), and it even has a pull-out coach (perfect for visitors- cough cough)! Our first night ended with us unpacking, eating pizza and drinking wine (more like tasting don’t worry mom)! Even though our room was quite chilly, I was so happy to finally go to bed!

Today we had LDM orientation. Basic stuff- what not to do, make sure you go to class, not dressing too “naked” says the Italian police man, etc. I am really excited for the classes but not so excited for the first two intense weeks of Italian. The school is about a 15 minute walk from our apartment, but don’t worry we walk past the Duomo everyday! Unreal. We still kind of feel like we are in Disneyland. I just keep the Nikon around my neck and don’t care if every person clearly knows I’m a tourist- O’ wait I’m actually LIVING in Florence for 4 months  I have to remind myself that I have time and don’t need to rush around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to see all Florence has to offer. Tonight we finally got time to venture around the city. We walked to the Ponte Vecchio and the Central area. Melissa and I almost cried. Everything is beautiful, historical, and BIG! It’s only been one full day but I’m already in love with Florence (and I haven’t even had Gelato yet)!
All my love from Italia,
Bec


--> the "cage"

*Hil and I are doing picture of the day. Keep up with our days through our FB album.


Quote of the day: “WOW… David has some really big toes” – HEC

“Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Matthew 28:20

1 comment:

  1. I miss you sis. I love the cage and Italy already. The blog was a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete