It has been such a great week! James came to visit this past week and I LOVED getting to show him MOH and serve together. Saturday was sad but I’m thankful that he got to see what my day to day life is like here.
We got to do a couple of really cool things this week. First, on Tuesday we went to a waterfall that was about 2 hours away. When large groups are here we rarely do anything that is too far off campus, but since we only had about 8 people last week, it was more flexible. The waterfall was AMAZING!! The power of the waterfall was astounding and it was one of those times all you could do was look up and thing “wow God you are awesome”. James and I climbed to the top and got some great pictures. I can’t properly describe the waterfall with words but it reminded me that Haiti has a lot of beauty. Even the drive up to the waterfall was beautiful. At the waterfall there were obvious signs of voodoo. At MOH we rarely see this, and it was very strange to see it at such a stunning area that was clearly made my God. Sad. On Tuesday we also got to visit one of my favorite orphanages and dance for the kids. Justin Bieber is always the music of choice. Baby, baby, baby, olllll’!
On Wednesday James and I helped at 3 Cords. We made a new hanger for the purses and fixed the sign. Brianna informed me on Friday that we get to go next week and talk to Shelley (the founder of The Apparent Project), and ask her questions. This is an answered prayer. Not only am I SOOOOO excited to meet Shelley, but I’m super pumped to get her input about 3 Cords! Please pray that this meeting will go well!
Thursday we painted. We have painted a lot this week, well this whole month really, and I think that when I get home I may be a professional. Friday was our restful beach day and we went snorkeling. Haiti has beautiful reefs! Who knew? I’m learning more about Haiti everyday and trying my best with Creole. Learning language is a challenge for me, but I do think Creole is easier than most. I have a couple tutors, my friends Victor and Clara, but it’s a slow process.
Saturday James left, but more NC people arrived! I don’t think I realized how much I miss NC until people show up from Greensboro of all places. It is just one family and there friend from church. It is so great to talk with them about Greensboro, UNC, State, anything NC really. I have friends from all over the country now, but this was the first group from NC! I’m very happy about this not only because I get a little taste of home this week, but because I want people in NC to know about Mission of Hope! It is such a great place and we need more NC people to come! This week there are around 50 people here. There is ALWAYS something to do, someone to talk to, etc.
When James came he brought me letters that all my girlfriends had written me (fyi I get made fun of for saying girlfriends here). They were beyond encouraging! God has blessed me with the best friends. Thanks girls (if you read my blog haha) I love y’all! It has been a wonderful week. Thanks for the prayers.
O' and half century Happy Birthday this week to my beautiful mother and congratulations to my amazing housemate Kelsey and her fiancé Jon on their engagement! Great week all around!
Bec
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bec! So great to read these updates, and thankful for all of the wonderful things God is doing in and through you - you inspire Margaret and me! Margaret is excited that in a few weeks she is going to be hosting a jewelry party for the ApParent Project here in Mebane, so I know she'll love to read about your visit. We are so proud of you! Blessings! - Cousin Jer
ReplyDelete