This past week has flown by. Having my girlfriends here, midterms, and the promise of Spring Break, have all caused this week to seem like a blur. A good blur. I absolutely loved having Het and Kristen here. It was such a treat. There is nothing like good times with old friends. We had quite a few entertaining stories from their time in Firenze. Most of them seem to involve Italian men trying to sell us things, talking to us, or chasing us. Gotta love Italians. I was bummed to see them go, but really I couldn’t have asked for a better time with them! Studying was also a nice distraction from missing them too badly.
This week can be summed up with one word: midterms. Honestly, I don’t do much studying around here. Compared to the hours of studying I do at Chapel Hill, my time in Florence has been more about “the experience”, than actual studying. This week changed things. I had three midterms on one day, so needless to say that wasn’t fun. Melis and went to the Florence library on Monday. We tried to sit outside but ended up making our way into the children’s section. It was nice to be around/distracted by little kids. It’s always funny to hear little kids speak another language. You know it’s bad when you can’t understand on a 4 year olds level. Maybe I should study in the children section more often. Leaving the library I have to admit I was feeling slightly stressed and complaining to Melis about our test. I had been studying Italian Renaissance with its many artist and their creations. Walking out of the library, I looked up to the most incredible view of the Duomo. I had just studied the structure that Brunelleschi used to build the dome. It was one of those times I was disgusted with my complaining. How in the world could I complain about a couple hours of studying art and architecture that I get to walk past and see every day? You would think I would learn to not take for granted the beauty of Florence. Every day I have to remind myself to love and appreciate where I’m at. I think I’ll probably have to do that for the rest of my life, whether in Florence, taking summer school, or wherever God leads.
On another note I love my language partner. I’m really bad. I don’t think y’all can understand how horrible I am. Italian language classes at UNC are not a joke. I studied more for Italian than most of my other subjects (many of my dear friends can attest to this). In Italy you would think Italian class would be challenging. Not the case. Our teacher basically laughs at Hilary and I, and while this is nice, I am learning NO Italian. When I meet with Chiara I realize how truly horrible my speaking skills are. It takes me a good minute to think about how to conjugate the verb, and by that point I look/feel so lost the rest of the sentence makes no sense. It’s painful but hey, no pain…no gain. Thank goodness Chiara is as sweet as they come and is GREAT at English. When I have children they will go to immersion school. I love the simplicity of our meetings. We can laugh at me learning to say “ugly little bird”, or discuss the love triangle in Dawson’s Creek. I’ve learned a lot about Italian culture from Chiara, and hopefully I’m a good representation of an American girl (even though I can’t speak Italian). It’s been fun, and I’m excited for for her to meet Mom, Al, and Gram!
Ok well I’m writing as if I’m done with midterms, but lo’ I still have Literature tomorrow! We leave for spring break in Greece tomorrow (still haven’t packed) and then soon after I return Mom, Al, and Grammy will be here! So excited! I guess I won’t be able to write for a while but all my love from Italia. Miss y’all.
Wing.Meow.Love.
Bec
I added this photo for everyones viewing pleasure. Another highlight of the week was when Hil made black beans (not out of a can), and she thought she has messed them up. Note: you wash black beans off after you cook them to make them look normal. This photo was taken when she thought they were a lost cause. Never a dull moment in ol' Bella Rosa!
No comments:
Post a Comment